The list developed from this recruitment will be used for a limited period to fill open and promotional, regular full-time, and part-time positions in a variety of departments, service areas, and locations throughout the County, should they occur. Pursuant to current bargaining unit agreements, employees regularly assigned to the coastal region or in Covelo are eligible to receive a 5% assignment premium .
Under general direction performs a variety of highly complex administrative functions in support of a department director or branch director of a large multi-branch department. Duties include serving as the primary administrative secretary; performs a variety of complex and confidential secretarial and administrative duties, relieving the department head of the more routine administrative duties.
BHRS - Mental Health Services Act:
The position provides administrative support to the Director of Behavioral Health & Recovery Services, Behavioral Health Advisory Board, Measure B Committee, and other various meetings.
Public Health - Administration:
This position p rovides administrative support to a variety of programs, such as executive support, equity, general admin, and fiscal.
Public Health - Women, Infants, and Children :
This position provides administrative support to WIC programs.
Social Services - Administration :
This position is a dedicated position providing secretarial support to the assistant director of Social Services.
Bilingual English/Spanish encouraged to apply.
Se buscan personas bilingües en inglés y español. Para recibir una solicitud en español, llame a Recursos Humanos al 234-6600.
Job Requirements and Minimum Qualifications
Duties may include but are not limited to the following.
- Support the office of a department head by performance duties such as: oversee the daily office procedures and workflow of the department; relieve officials of routine administrative details such as checking operating reports for accuracy and conformance to policies and standards; assist in resolving administrative issues; answer various inquiries, arranges appointments; processes routine and non-routine matters independently; prepare complex, routine and non-routine reports as requested utilizing a variety of software; receive, sort, and summarize material for the preparation of reports; relay and interpret administrative decisions, policies, procedures and instructions. May deal with sensitive and confidential matters at the direction of senior level staff and/or the department director.
- Screen incoming correspondence routed to the Director, refer for reply to appropriate staff member, and follow up to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Compose correspondence independently or in accordance with general instructions, requiring a thorough knowledge of the procedures and policies of the office.
- Prepare various contracts, assuring that documents are forwarded to staff for approval and execution. Maintain contract which include monitoring flow of documents, consulting with and advising staff of essential elements of contracts, conferring with financial staff, and managing related filing systems.
- Attend meetings and conferences, take notes and/or summarize notes into minutes and distribute to appropriate staff.
- Assist with the development, communication, and monitoring of polices, procedures, and standards for the department; recommends improvements when necessary. Interpret various codes and mandates.
- Interact with a variety of high-level individuals, both internally and within the community to provide information, disseminate departmental information.
- Confer with upper management to keep them informed on key issues and progress toward objectives and to gain their support and approval; make recommendations to assist management in making needed improvements; report administrative and/or operational problems to supervisor.
- Maintain and upgrade professional knowledge, skills, and development by attending seminars and training programs and reading trade and professional journals and publications.
- Take policy, service and information requests relating to governmental activities and refers to proper divisions for processing and providing information; update and maintain service and information requests.
- Perform specialized research and statistical work manually or on computer on assigned subjects for staff and management.
- May serve as backup for other positions within the department.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
IN A SUPERVISORY CAPACITY (in addition to the above duties):
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Education and Experience:
- Carry out supervisory duties in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable laws including: interviewing, hiring and training and mentoring, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
High school diploma or GED equivalent and five years of experience performing significant and increasingly responsible administrative and clerical duties in support of a supervisor or manager that included providing relief of administrative details and non-routine work; or two (2) years of full-time experience as a Secretary with Mendocino County; or a combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Supplemental course work in accounting, office management or related field is desired.
Licenses and Certifications:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
In Supervisory Assignments:
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Internal departmental policies and procedures.
- Applicable, federal, state and local ordinances, codes, laws, mandates, etc.
- Office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures, such as business letter writing and the operation of standard office equipment, including a word processor and personal or on-line computer.
- External governmental bodies and agencies related to area of assignment.
- Standard business arithmetic, including percentages and decimals.
- Basic budgetary principles and practices.
- Record keeping, report preparation, filing methods and records management techniques.
- General office procedures, policies and practices, as well as knowledge of computer application, hardware, and other general office equipment related to the performance of the essential functions of the job.
- Methods and techniques used in researching, proofing, evaluating, gathering, organizing and arranging data.
- Principles and practices of effective supervision and training
- Administration of staff and activities
In Supervisory Assignments:
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Analyzing and resolving office administrative situations and problems.
- Researching, compiling, and summarizing a variety of informational and statistical data and materials.
- Organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines, and following up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
- Applying logical thinking to solve problems or accomplish tasks.
- Understanding, interpreting and communicating complicated policies, procedures and protocols.
- Typing from rough draft or printed text, or entering other data using a keyboard at a speed sufficient to perform the duties of the job.
- Transcribing information from dictating equipment.
- Communicating orally with internal staff, citizens, and other departmental staff in order to give and receive information in a courteous manner.
- Operating and performing routine maintenance of general office machines and other standard office equipment.
- Identifying and correct technical inaccuracies.
- Providing verbal and written technical direction to others.
- Working independently in performing assignments and in resolving problems and deviations.
- Maintaining confidentiality.
- Typing a variety of material to include graphs, charts, statistical reports, and standardized forms
Mental and Physical Ability to:
- Selecting and motivating staff, planning, organizing, assigning, directing, reviewing, evaluating the work of staff and providing for their training and professional development.
- Read and interpret documents such as operation and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and so forth.
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions, giving close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Rapidly and accurately take and transcribe oral or tape dictation using speedwriting, shorthand, or dictating equipment (at the discretion of the supervisor).
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Draft and type correspondence.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, to reach with hands and arms, and speak and hear.
- Lift and carry, push and/or pull, or move items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Selection Procedure & Other Important Information
Important Application Information:
- It is your responsibility to demonstrate through your application materials how you meet the minimum qualifications of the position/s for which you apply.
- You must complete all sections of the application. A résumé or other information you feel will help us evaluate your qualifications may be attached to your completed application, but will not be accepted in lieu of completing any part of the application. Blank applications that contain only a résumé or those that reference “see résumé” will be rejected as incomplete.
- Check your application before submitting to ensure it is complete and correct; no new or additional information will be accepted after the closing date.
- Inquiry will be made of your former and current employers; please provide the names and telephone numbers of supervisors on your application.
- You must provide the names and contact information of at least three (3) references (not relatives) that have knowledge of your job skills, experience, ability and/or character.
- Application materials are the property of Mendocino County and will not be returned.
- It is your responsibility to keep your NEOGOV profile updated, including any changes to your telephone number or address. Failure to do so may result in missed notification of exams or interviews.
- The exam process listed on this flyer is tentative. Mendocino County reserves the right to make necessary modifications to the examination plan. Such revisions will be in accordance with approved personnel standards. Should a change be made, applicants will be notified.
- The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract.
All complete applications will be reviewed; incomplete applications will not be considered. Based on the number of qualified candidates, applicants meeting the job requirements and qualifications will be invited to participate in an oral examination (weight 100) or an unassembled exam, consisting of an evaluation of education and experience as stated on the application form. The examination process will test the knowledge and abilities described above. A minimum score of 70 must be attained for placement on the employment list.
If you require special testing arrangements to accommodate a disability or religious conviction you must contact Human Resources at 707.234.6600 prior to the test date to make your requirements known. You must provide enough advance notice to allow Human Resources to properly review and evaluate your request .
Employment in some County departments or positions may require the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background, which may include fingerprinting, and/or a medical examination, which may include drug screening.
Employment in some County departments or positions may require proof of
per the applicable California Public Health Officer's Order .
The option for
may be available. Eligibility for telework is based on the position, employee, and telework environment; not every position, or every employee will be compatible to telework. Please see Policy #57 Telework Policy and Program Guidelines for details.
This announcement is a synopsis of duties and requirements of this job. To review the complete classification specification and benefits, please see the HR website. Applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department by the final filing date.
The County of Mendocino is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This information is a summary of general benefits. Benefits listed in Mendocino County Resolutions or Memorandums of Understanding prevail over this listing. This information is not legally binding, nor does it constitute a Contract.
Compensation is based on a five-step salary range, with annual merit-based increases within the salary range.
Covered under Social Security and the 1937 act; both employees and the County pay into the retirement fund. For the most current information regarding County Retirement please go to:
HOLIDAYS AND PERSONAL LEAVE
Mendocino County observes 11 paid holidays per year. Employees are granted 24 - 48 hours of personal leave annually, depending upon Bargaining Unit.
Accrues at the rate of two weeks per year for three years. Three weeks per year after three years, four weeks after eight years and five weeks after 15 years.
Paid sick leave accrues at the rate of 1.25 days per month, or 15 days per year. Accruals are pro-rated for part-time employees working at least 20 hours per week. Part-time employees working less than 20 hours per week, and extra-help employees receive up to 24 hours (or 3 days) of paid sick leave annually.
MEDICAL, DENTAL, VISION,AND LIFE INSURANCE
The County and the employee share the cost of an employee selected health care plan; enrollment in the plan includes $20,000 Life Insurance.
For the most current information regarding Health Insurance please go to:
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
For the most current information regarding Employee Assistance please go to:
EMPLOYEE WELLNESS PROGRAM
For the most current information regardingEmployee Wellness please go to:
For the complete list of most current labor agreements please go to:
Closing Date/Time: 12/11/2022 11:59 PM Pacific