Location: San Francisco, California, United States,
Req ID: 30170
Discovery is looking for a strong engineering and operations lead, to join our global platform group. We are looking for someone with a strong software engineering background and experience in a wider variety of engineering development roles - engineering leadership, technical program management, release engineering, software testing and running production services at scale, and has experience working with a globally distributed team. The ideal candidate will leverage their wide experience combined with their strong leadership, communication and people skills, to help bring order to chaos across the start-up and fast paced environment we have, engineer processes and tools to help us scale, and overall drive execution excellence.
The lead will report into the EVP of Engineering leading Discovery’s corep platform and services for our streaming and OTT offering, drive the overall operations and program management across the organization, and work closely with other engineering teams and cross-functional business and partner teams, to deliver on Discovery and Direct-to-consumer’s mission - to delight and engage our end users with the endless and growing corpus of content we have. This is a part chief of staff, part technical program management and part strategy operations role. The role will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and will be critical in helping grow and shape Discovery’s bay area presence.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within Discovery Inc. With Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more brands to support, we build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications for smart TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles.
To support these experiences, we are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. The services are modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, covering everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions. The device platform spans consoles, smart TVs, web, mobile phones, and tablets. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
* Established track record launching large-scale consumer products and developing processes and structure to ensure these land well and run smoothly
* Experience leading through influence, guiding different teams and stakeholders towards the end-goal and ensuring execution velocity is high
* Drive clarity when there is ambiguity and ability to provide direction and shape the roadmap
* Prior experience as a software engineer, release management and testing
* Ability to leverage technical depth, product knowledge, business understanding, organizational skills, and communication skills to ensure that the timely decisions and trade offs are made
* You are an effective communicator at all levels from engineers to executive leaders, and you are a role-model for describing all aspects of your program responsibilities to any stakeholder from junior engineers to executive stakeholders. Your portfolio of clear, concise written documentation corroborates this assessment.
* Lead by example, lead through influence and ability to coach and develop a strong bench
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Computer Science Bachelors (required) and Masters (desired) + 10 years of industry experience
* Technical expertise in building large scale distributed systems & cloud platforms - AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch.
* Data literacy including one or more of: SQL, R tool usage, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, AWS Redshift, and AWS Timestream. You are confident with data retrieval and its application to guiding project decision-making.
* Subject matter expertise in one or more of: payment processor integrations, information security, GDPR controls, content management systems, or personalization and recommendations engines.