Under supervision, to perform skilled standard laboratory procedures in the preparation of tissue specimens for examination.
The list established from this recruitment will be used for all vacancies as they become available, this may include, full time, part-time, and extra help positions. If you are interested in such opportunities, please be sure to complete the appropriate questions.
- Receives specimens from autopsies and surgical or diagnostic procedures for histologic examination;
- Identifies, numbers, and accessions all specimens received;
- Assists pathologist in cutting specimens into blocks;
- Insures proper fixation, dehydration, clearing and embedding of blocks;
- Uses autotechnicon;
- Blocks and cuts thin tissue sections with microtomes;
- Stains histologic specimens with routine and special stains;
- Examines slides to check results of staining;
- Mounts, labels and properly submits slides to pathologist for examination;
- Labels paraffin blocks for permanent storage;
- Maintains laboratory equipment including sharpening of microtome knives;
- Assists in the instruction of students in histologic technique;
- Maintains routine records;
- Performs related work as required.
Training and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and completion of a one year training program in histologic technique.
- Methods and procedures for fixing, cutting, and embedding tissue sections, staining procedures, and methods of mounting sections for microscopic examination;
- General science laboratory techniques and procedures.
- Skillfully operate and maintain medical equipment and apparatus used in histologic technique;
- Follow oral and written directions of a technical nature;
- Perform assigned tasks according to prescribed procedures and to make accurate observation of results;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Closing Date/Time: 10/26/2021 11:59 PM Pacific