UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we’ve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes’ “America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
As a surety underwriting manager here is how you will spend your days: Using your relationship-building skills to help underwriters produce and underwrite a profitable book of surety business by working closely with independent agents. Your strong analytical skills will be put to good use to evaluate new opportunities for acceptability within company risk parameters. UFG supports team effort, and you will be traveling with primary underwriters to visit current and potential contractors’ places of business to better assess their capabilities. In addition, you’ll make regular agency calls to assist with agents’ growth and profitability goals. As a leader, you will promote a great company image and provide excellent customer service to those you encounter, including your surety underwriting staff.
Help underwriters with new market development; ability to prospect, appoint and manage producer relationships to achieve production and profitability objectives.
Assist primary underwriters in developing a profitable book of surety business.
Manage surety underwriting staff, helping each person to develop and enhance their respective skills.
Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority based on appropriate underwriting information.
Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation and information in management systems, as well as, adherence to standards and practices.
Help underwriters negotiate terms and conditions consistent with market segment requirements and standards.
Develop a profitable book of surety business of varying degrees of complexity for assigned territory, taking into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the producer plant, territory and competitors, divisional objectives and overall market conditions.
Attend selected industry events that provide interactions with producers and/or potential accounts.
Responsible for building and maintaining effective business relationships with internal and external customers and coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business and quality employees.
Travel is required with frequent overnight stays; up to 20% of time will be traveling. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Interaction with professional NASBP member agents as well as other agents who do business with United Fire Group.
Assist in the maintaining and developing of automation systems that enhance surety.
Perform special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Four year college degree is required; a major in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Economics is preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in surety underwriting. Prior management experience is strongly desired.
- Actively engaged in industry and professional development designations (AFSB, CPCU, MBA, etc.). Additional classes may be required.
QUALIFICATIONS and ATTRIBUTES that we seek:
- Excellent understanding of the independent agency system, especially the dynamics of the relationship between the agency and the carrier.
- Knowledge of the surety industry, including the desire and ability to train and educate.
- Knowledge of the surety sales process.
- Ability to properly direct, lead and motivate employees so the work gets done, through them, in a timely, efficient and economical manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to work well with people from many disciplines with varying degrees of business and technical experience. Strong business acumen; understand how to deal with business situations in a manner that will lead to a positive outcome.
- Effective problem solver, someone that can anticipate issues, seeks out and analyzes information to propose solutions, and takes ownership for a successful resolution.
- Energetic, inspiring, influential personality. Able to maintain a consistent positive attitude during pressure situations while providing the highest levels of customer service.