|Job type||Full Time|
Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program.
The Maintenance and Engineering (M&E) Department at BART has over 1500 employees who serve San Francisco Bay Area communities every day by providing safe and reliable infrastructure to enable on-time service. M&E Engineering leads over one hundred capital design & construction projects along with providing technical expertise for all operational infrastructure assets except rail vehicles. We focus on safety, reliability, and innovation to benefit passengers and employees, so trains and projects can move swiftly every day. We hire maintenance-friendly Engineering talent who bring a high level of technical capability, accountability, and enthusiasm for continuous improvement.
Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents.
$121,196 Minimum - $187,856 Maximum (Non-Represented Pay Band 10)
January 10, 2019
Open Until Further Notice
Assigned Engineering Manager
Typically, Saturdays and Sundays, but working variable shifts, including nights and weekends, will be required
Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees.
Incumbent in this position will lead a Traction Power Engineering Division, and manage, motivate, and drive improvements with a staff of approximately 25 Electrical Engineers and project personnel.
The scope of the Traction Power Engineering Group includes the development and modification of BART's facilities and systems such as:
Ideal incumbents will demonstrate the following skills beyond the minimum qualifications:
Essential Job Functions
1. Assumes management responsibility for assigned services and activities of the Traction Power Engineering Division including design, rehabilitation, construction activities, and maintenance support.
2. Oversees the design work the traction power system rehabilitation, maintenance, and construction projects to ensure technical and code conformance to established standards.
3. Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
4. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
5. Plans, directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan for assigned staff; assigns work activities, projects and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
6. Manages and oversees traction power system rehabilitation and other contracts, including engineering consultant contracts, traction power engineering projects; including the District's System Rehabilitation Program; reviews and approves final project plans, specifications and cost estimates.
7. Directs the preparation of plans, specifications, cost estimates, requests for proposals and bid documents for District traction power engineering projects.
8. Monitors developments and legislation related to assigned area of responsibility; evaluates impact upon district operations; recommends and implements equipment, practice and procedural improvements.
9. Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates assigned personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
10. Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the division's annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures; implements adjustments.
11. Serves as the liaison for the Traction Power Division with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; provides technical assistance to the Legal Department and serves as an expert witness; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
12. Oversees traction power engineering project contracts including progress reviews, payments, claims, submittals, and correspondence.
13. Serves as staff on a variety of boards, commissions and committees; prepares and presents periodic and special reports regarding division activities to management staff or other departments and other necessary correspondence.
14. Directs the preparation of and approves final plans, specifications, cost estimates, requests for proposals and bid documents; conducts or directs analytical studies.
15. Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints; responds to emergency situations related to safe operation of the traction power equipment in the District.
A Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
Five (5) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable traction power engineering experience, which must have included at least (2) two years of administrative and supervisory experience.
License or Certificate :
Registration as a professional electrical engineer in the State of California.
Other Requirements :
Must have a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record.
Must possess sufficient physical mobility to inspect construction in progress or run varied equipment tests.
Environmental Conditions :
Office environment; exposure to computer screens; field environment; construction site environment; exposure to heat, cold, moving vehicle, electrical energy and inclement weather conditions.
Physical Conditions :
May require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Knowledge of :
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations).
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs.
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at email@example.com for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.