Performs skilled heating, ventilation, and air conditioning: maintenance, repair, and installation functions.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate inthe selection process, to includea panel interview and skills assessment.
Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Drug Screen
- 39 Month Motor Vehicle Records Check
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Audiogram Test
Note: Typically successful candidates are hired at a salary rate, from the bottom of the hourly pay range, $23.44 up to midpoint of the hourly pay range $28.76, based on applicable experience, internal equity and budgetary allowances.
Education and Experience
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Must possessa technician's certificate in a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) specialized field; OR,
- Successful completion of afour year apprenticeship program in an approved HVAC program; OR,
- Fouryears of experience in HVAC maintenance, installation and repair.
- Three years at a skilled level working on commercial large tonnage chilled water systems.
- Five years of experience in HVAC maintenance, installation and repair along with either a technician's certificate or one year of experience with the completion of a four year apprenticeship program in an approved HVAC program.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Universal Refrigerant Recovery certification required upon hire or promotion.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment .
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Performs installation, preventive maintenance, and repairs on all: refrigeration, heating and ventilating equipment, control systems, and associated computer control systems. This will include: cooling towers, chillers, and chemical feed systems for scale and corrosion control.
- Repairs or replaces electrical components such as: wire, contractors, starters, relays, overload heaters, motors, compressors, flame guards, pilot igniters, and related fail-safe controls on large and small air conditioning and heating equipment.
- Lays out and installs: metal, fiberglass, flexible ductwork, diffusers, grills, and turning veins.
- Installs piping and pumps related to the HVAC trade that transfer: water, oil, refrigerant, and chemicals for system water treatment.
- Analyzes gauge and meter readings relating to: pneumatic air, water pressure, water chemical and solids content, refrigerant pressures, oil pressure, and contaminant content.
- Maintains written or computer based logs on: preventive maintenance, cooling tower water use, filter changing, belt life cycle, bearing life cycle, and cooler pump life cycle.
- Enters new data into computer base on Energy Management Control System to allow schedule and use changes in City facilities.
- Maintains and repairs all types of large HVAC systems including: chilled water, water cooled, reciprocating, and centrifugal systems including pumps, cooling towers, both pneumatic and digitally controlled.
- Evaluates and recommends new products that may be beneficial to lower maintenance and operating costs of City HVAC equipment.
- Operate a motor vehicle to perform installation, preventive maintenance and repairs on HVAC equipment and associated systems at various locations.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions .
The City reserves the right to change this process at anytime.
- Most work is performed in an industrial environment, with some work performed in a normal City office environment.
- Operate a variety of shop equipment and hand tools and skillfully maneuver small objects.
- Seldom sedentary and includes: walking or moving, climbing ladders and working at heights, lifting, bending, and stooping repeatedly; lift arms above head on continual basis; work in small, cramped, and confined areas.
- Move objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including: computer, telephone, calculator, copy and fax machines requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand, and eye movement.
- Operate a motor vehicle and travel to/from various locations.
- Work rotating weekend coverage and after hours call-out.
To view the entire job description click here.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: 1/27/2019 11:59 PM Arizona