Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans or any other legally protected group.
To administer the College's disability programs by interpreting leave policies, guiding employees and managers, liaising with vendors, and coordinating with internal stakeholders, while ensuring compliance with federal/state regulations and College policy.
Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent verbal, written and communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills, and the ability to work with a wide variety of different individuals.
- Highly organized, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong analytical skills with proven ability to troubleshoot systems-related issues.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs.
- Technical aptitude and knowledge of Microsoft Office software products and HRIS.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
Five years of benefits or disability administration experience.
Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Melissa Miner, Director of Benefits and Wellness
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
STD & LTD Administration
- Administers Dartmouth's short and long term disability, providing guidance on policies and federal and state leave law to employees, managers, and employee relations team.
- Serves as the primary contact for phone, email and mail communications with employees, management, and internal human resources staff regarding disability and related processes.
- Works with third party disability administrator to ensure claims are set up correctly and processed in a timely manner; Drives successful and satisfactory resolution of leave cases.
- Manages payroll entries for disability cases.
- Facilitates employee transition from short-term to long-term disability, or coordinating return-to-work activities.
- Collaborates with Risk Management on combination workers' compensation and short-term disability cases.
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Director of Benefits, ensures College leave policies are compliant with federal and state leave laws.
- Develops and maintains communications and trainings designed to keep employees informed about updates regarding disability programs.
- Stays current on state and federal leave requirements, and other benefit related provisions.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations to revise internal processes and procedures to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Serve as the primary contact for FMLA administration.
- Determine FMLA eligibility for employees by reviewing medical documentation and set up and process cases.
- Counsel employees and supervisors about FMLA rights and responsibilities while maintaining appropriate confidentiality of employee medical information.
- Communicate as necessary with employees, supervisors and departments to keep stakeholders informed and up to date through FMLA leave application process, period of FMLA and return to work.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of all FMLA leave claims, documents and determinations.
- Develops and maintains communications and web content keep employees informed about FMLA policies and processes.
-- Performs other duties as assigned